What is sensitivity reading?
“A sensitivity reader reads through a manuscript for issues of representation and for instances of bias on the page. The goal of a sensitivity reader is not to edit a manuscript clarity and logic, although that may be an additional service offered. A sensitivity reader reviews a manuscript for internalized bias and negatively charged language. A sensitivity reader is there to help make sure you do not make a mistake, but they are also NOT guarantee against making a mistake”
My areas of expertise*
I’m currently studying a bachelor’s degree in creative writing from the University of Guadalajara, so I have knowledge of :
- Latin american literature
- Mexican literature
- Literary theory
- Portuguese I and II
- French I
- Italian I and II
- German I, II, III, and IV. Level B1
- Toefl iTP score of 590
- Wixarika, Mexica and Maya culture (myths, gods and legends)
I also have direct experiences with:
- Being part of the LGBTQIA+ community (specifically with bisexuality and asexual/aromantic spectrum)
- Mental Illness (specifically depression/anxiety/OCD/PTSD)
- Growing up in a Catholic household
- Growing up in a Latinx household
- Being Latinx
- Mexican/Latinx diaspora
- Living with grandparents/Caring for sick grandparents
- Caring for grandparents with Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
- Growing up with strict familial expectations
*note that will be from lived experience as every person experiences things differently, my sensitivity read is no foolproof guarantee, but I will do my best to spot problematic and hurtful content.
What can I read for?
- Mexican/latinx characters
- Mexican/latinx inspired settings
- Latinx immigrant situations
- Use of Spanish (in terms of context, grammar, etc)
- Bisexual, biromantic characters
- Asexual/aromantic spectrum characters
- Characters with mental illness (such as depression, anxiety, PTSD, OCD)
- Different sociological issues
- Being raised catholic
- Studying in Canada
How much does it cost?
It depends on reader to reader. My flat rate is $0.005/word* for manuscripts longer than 10k words.
Due to location, I can only accept Paypal payments, of which I will ask half in advance and the other half once my work on your manuscript is done. Refunds will not be possible once my work starts.
*Discounts for Latinx writers and students are available, please make sure to inquire about it in the body of the email.
What else should I know?
I prefer reading Middle Grade and Young Adult books but can make exceptions for adult literature.
Turn around can be around 8-16 days, but always on time.
You will receive an edit letter with my recommendations. The length of the letter will depend on how specific I can get with the recommendations.
I will try to reply within 24 hours upon first contact.
I reserve the right to deny your request for a read.
You also reserve the right to ignore my suggestions at your own discretion.
If you feel like any of my services can work for you email me at: email@example.com
Be sure to send all the details, general (a synopsis, the word count, genre…) and ones you feel can be useful. As well as possible deadlines I should take into considerations. We can discuss options and such before committing to anything, especially the turnaround time as that will be influenced by my schedule and the length of your manuscript.